How to Upgrade Magento 1.8 to 1.9
We all know that IT products are changed and developed day by day and the next one is always better than the previous. Magento platform is not an exception.
In this post, I’d like to emphasize why we need to update to Magento 1.9 and what are possible ways to implement it.
Why do we need to upgrade to Magento 1.9?
About Information Technology in general, updating to higher version brings you not only the newest features, but also security fixes, and for a Magento store’s safety – it is highly important.
Not updating your Magento can result in not only a bad performance, but it makes your shop an easy target for hackers.
In specific, there are 5 main reasons proving that upgrading your Magento version is a smart choice:
- Better financing and payment solutions: you would be surprised about what payment Paypal Express Checkout and Bill Me Later service could do in this version.
- Responsiveness at core: now it takes less time and less spending to code your site for mobiles and tablets,and it will be SEO friendlier.
- Native support for PHP 5.4 and Zend Framework 1.12.3: your site is ready for the fast-growing market mobile commerce with this change.
- Enhanced security and UX.
- Cross-Border Price Consistency:This is a new option for multinational eCommerce sites with the clearer and more accurate pricing.
Which should we prepare before upgrading Magento version?
Whatever version you’re updating, we always recommend you to follow these steps first:
- Make sure you have a recent and clean backup. Both a file- and database backup. In case anything goes wrong while updating, you can restore your data easily.
- Check the versions release notes to see what changes have been made.
- Choose a quiet moment to update your Magento. Preferably when there’s hardly any traffic on your site.
- Test an update on a staging environment to make sure all aspects of your shop are compatible with the newest version.
How to upgrade from Magento 1.8 to Magento 1.9?
Depending on your specific website, you can totally select upgrading via Magento Connect Manager or SSH.
Via Magento Connect Manager
The easiest method of updating Magento is via the built-in Connect manager by following the steps explained below:
- Log on to your Magento backend
- Navigate to System > Magento Connect > Magento Connect Manager
- Fill in your credentials
But for updating Magento to version 1.9 it works slightly different than updating from an older version, so refer these steps:
- Go to “Manage Existing Extensions” and click “Check for Updates”. Extensions that can be updated will have a yellow background colour
- Click on the dropdown menu behind the extensions that can be updated and choose the newest Magento version
- Once you’ve selected everything scroll down and click on “Commit changes”.
- Your Magento is now updated.
Updating Magento via SSH can be done via the following commands:
cd ~/public chmod 750 mage ./mage mage-setup . ./mage config-set preferred_state stable ./mage sync ./mage install https://connect20.magentocommerce.com/community Mage_All_Latest --force php shell/indexer.php reindexall rm -rf downloader/.cache/ var/cache/ n98-magerun cache:flush
Hope that this post will be helpful for you.
A knowledge craver who always strive to be wiser everyday.