The subscription model is one of the top eCommerce business models that are growing exponentially in the past few years. How could you create subscriptions on your Shopify store to generate recurring revenue and build customer loyalty? All you need to do is install a Shopify subscription app and you can start selling subscriptions right away.
In this article, we will go through the best subscription apps for your Shopify store with detailed pros and cons comparison to help you finalize the most suitable one.
Shopify subscription app & its key features
Normally, Shopify default settings only allow your customers to add product to the cart and purchase the item once. In case they want to purchase the item again, they need to come back to your site and order it once again. Shopify subscription app turns your products into subscription items so that customers can subscribe to their favorite products on a recurring basis, such as weekly and monthly.
Shopify subscription app will add a “Subscribe” button next to the default “Add to cart” button and let customers choose to subscribe to their favorite product. Plus, the app will automatically handle all the recurring payments and orders each month for you, so both you and your customers can save a lot of time on all the manual tasks weekly or monthly.
Key features of a Shopify subscription app:
- Automated subscription process: Set up subscription model at your Shopify store. Automatically charge customers recurring payments and send emails to notify them.
- Subscription management: Easily manage all subscription products and orders from an intuitive dashboard.
- Customer portal: Customers are able to check, manage, edit their information and subscription products (swap/add/delete products).
- Email & message notifications: Automatically send personalized emails to notify them about subscription status, information update, delivery time, etc.
- Analytics: Get real-time analytics and data on subscription business performance.
- 24/7 support
Best Shopify subscription apps
1. Subscription & Recurring Order – ⭐4.5 (143+ reviews)
Subscription & Recurring Order is a comprehensive yet completely free Shopify subscription app that you can utilize for your store. All the needed tools and functionalities you need to start your own subscription business are available to utilize, so you only need to install the app and start offering subscriptions at your store.
Subscription & Recurring Order is available for free, but there is a list of comprehensive features to boost subscription business performance, such as smart subscription management and analytics. Customers can manage their subscriptions from a customer portal with ease.
The subscription widget is fully customizable to fit your store theme with a built-in editor and online preview feature. More than that, it is also available in the “Quick view” and “Featured Product” sections so that customers can expect what products they can subscribe to.
Rating: 4.5 (143+ reviews)
Pros – Key features:
- Process recurring payments and orders automatically.
- Smart subscription management: edit customer subscriptions, swap, add, and remove products in the subscription.
- Customer portal available: Allow customers to manage, check and edit subscriptions easily.
- Set up and send email notifications for various events, such as pause subscription, payment failed, subscription information updated, and more.
- Allow mixed subscriptions in the same cart, so customers can start multiple subscriptions in the same order.
- Offer discounts for subscription orders. Set up discount rules on your own.
- 24/7 support: call, chat, email support.
- Currently, the app hasn’t been fully integrated with Shopify checkout (coming soon).
2. Subscriptions Recurring Orders – ⭐5.0 (45+ reviews)
Another completely free Shopify subscription app is Subscriptions Recurring Orders by Prope. This app helps you create and manage an efficient subscription management system with various powerful tools for a seamless subscription business.
Subscriptions Recurring Orders allows you to add the subscription widget to any products or services at your Shopify store. All customer payments are processed automatically based on the subscription schedule that you’ve set for a steady stream of recurring revenue.
Plus, this app also put customers at the center of your subscription business. They will be notified with personalized emails about the next delivery date, payment and payment fails. Customers can check and manage their own subscriptions in the customer portal as well.
Rating: 5.0 (45+ reviews)
Pros – Key features:
- Intuitive interface to set up and manage subscriptions with ease.
- Powerful subscription management: automatically notify customers and process payment.
- Customizable subscription widget on the product page to make it match your store’s theme and style.
- Convenient customer portal to let them self-manage their subscriptions.
- Send personalized, customized emails to customers to notify them about the next delivery date, payment fails, and more.
- Seamless integration with Shopify Checkout.
- Dedicated 24/7 support.
- The customer portal is not as comprehensive as other apps.
3. Subscription by BSS – – ⭐4.8 (20+ reviews)
Whether you are looking forward to starting a subscription model and increasing your sales, Subscription by BSS is one of the best choices with the most valuable features.
Subscription by BSS automatically collects feedback from customers for a better understanding of motivation and customers’ needs. This is a highly effective way of building subscription packages and forecasting customers’ demands.
With Subscription by BSS, you can create a more personalized and memorable experience by personalizing messaging, recommendations, and advertisements.
Ratings: 4.8 (20+ reviews)
Pros – Key feature:
- Forecast the company’s revenue stream accurately and consistently.
- Provide a security gateway for users to pay online.
- Offer subscription as well as one-time purchases.
- Set up personalized email notifications to customers automatically.
- Allow customers to show discounted prices with a message to entice recurring customers.
- Offer customers control Enable/ Activate/ Cancel/Pause/Skip/Cancel,… their subscription
- Create flexible options for pricing and frequency policy.
- The control panel might have problems; however, customers can contact the support team 24/7.
Pricing: 14-day free trial.
- Free Forever
- Starter Plan: $5/month
- Pro Plan: $10/month
- Advanced Plan: $20/month
4. Appstle Subscriptions – ⭐4.9 (457+ reviews)
Appstle Subscription is currently the most-rated Shopify subscription app with an absolute 5 out of 5 stars from more than 1,300+ merchants. This is an end-to-end recurring order and payment solution that enables you to offer subscription products at your Shopify store.
Besides the basic subscription management functionality, Appstle also includes powerful tools to increase revenue and scale your business, such as segment-based plans, targeted upselling, inventory forecasting, etc.
Plus, you can always satisfy customers with a simplified shopping journey and encourage customers to buy more with a comprehensive loyalty program. There are many advanced loyalty features that you can hardly find in other Shopify subscription apps, such as mixed cart, tired discount, product swap, and more.
Rating: 5.0 (1370+ reviews)
Pros – Key features:
- Easy & powerful subscription creation & management.
- Advanced set of tools to increase revenue, boost business growth, and simplify the shopping experience.
- Create & manage multiple shipping profiles for subscriptions, based on key variables, such as order value, weight, etc.
- Real-time reports of subscription customers, revenue, and store performance.
- Set up rules to calculate discounts. Enable loyalty program with tiered discounts for customers.
- Automatically send personalized emails to customers. Trigger questionnaire to analyze why customers cancel subscriptions.
- Subscription widget display mode: dropdown or radio button.
- Live chat 24/7 support.
- There might be a lot of complex tasks to fulfill if you want to migrate from other subscription apps to Appstle.
- Starter: $10/month
- Business: $30/month
- Enterprise: $100/month
5. Recharge Subscriptions – ⭐4.8 (1,154+ reviews)
Recharge Subscriptions powers Shopify merchants to enable subscriptions with its powerful set of subscription tools. You can set up the subscription program in minutes with a few clicks, and connect the app to your existing payment gateway to start selling subscription products.
There are also various features included to help you increase customer engagement and their lifetime value. They are able to skip or reschedule delivery on customer portal, swap products, and receive automatic notifications on orders, payments, and more.
Recharge Subscriptions comes with a free plan that includes basic features to start a subscription business. The Pro plan is relatively expensive, so it might be more suitable for large Shopify stores.
Rating: 4.8 (1,154+ reviews)
Pros – Key features:
- Set up subscription program in minutes. Smoothly integrate with existing payment processors.
- Powerful payment and order management tools.
- Allow customers to manage their subscriptions via customer portal and SMS.
- Reduce customer churn with loyalty program, swap products, automatic payment retry.
- API – ready to give you complete flexibility.
- Get access to real-time data and business performance.
- There is a transaction fee for each completed transaction, which might hurt your profit margin severely.
- You need to set up subscription model for each product manually.
- There’re some complaints about their customer support.
- Standard: Free to install + transaction fee
- Pro: $300/month + transaction fee
6. Seal Subscriptions & Loyalty – ⭐4.9 (450+ reviews)
Since 2020, Seal Subscriptions has always strived to bring out best-in-class subscription solutions at the most competitive price. This is one of the best Shopify subscription apps, as it is packed with the most up-to-date subscription features for your store.
Built for store owners’ peace of mind, Seal Subscription is easy to set up and configured, since there is no coding involved. After installing the app, you only need to set subscription rules and start selling right away. Customers will be charged for their recurring orders automatically and the order will be visible in your Shopify admin.
In order to increase customer lifetime value and leverage customer satisfaction, Seal Subscription allows shoppers to mix subscriptions of different products in the same cart. Shoppers are free to remove and add items to their subscription and reschedule billing attempts directly from the customer portal as well.
Rating: 4.9 (450+ reviews)
Pros – Key features:
- Set up and configure the subscription app with ease.
- Configure subscription requirements, subscription intervals, discounts, product swaps to fit your business.
- Customer loyalty features: loyalty gifts, gift subscriptions, product swaps, interval changes, and more.
- Easily migrate subscribers from other platforms manually or in bulk.
- Discount products in subscriptions to encourage shoppers.
- Let customers manage their subscriptions from the customer portal themselves. They can remove and add products, reschedule billing attempts, etc.
- Robust API & webhooks available for customization.
- The free plan only supports 150 subscriptions.
- Automation sending invoice feature stops working sometimes.
- Supersale: $4.95/month
- Rising star: $7.95/month
- Legend: $20/month
7. Bold Subscriptions – ⭐4.4 (259+ reviews)
Bold Subscriptions is the official Shopify subscription app that is approved by Shopify Plus Certified Apps. Built for high-growth brands, Bold Subscriptions always strives to deliver the most useful subscription tools for Shopify merchants.
Along with all the default subscription functionalities, Bold allows you to leverage its built-in APIs and webhooks to customize your subscription business or extend it when your business expands.
If you are using other subscription platforms, Bold experts will help you handle all the migration with zero downtime and ensure no risk of customer data loss. Their experts are always there to support you with any installation and technical issues, so don’t hesitate to contact them for excellent support at zero costs.
Rating: 4.4 (259+ reviews)
Pros – Key features:
- Effortlessly set up subscription program with out-of-the-box features.
- Add subscription options to specific products, the whole collection, or the entire store with ease.
- Integrate with more than 3000+ Shopify apps for better marketing, reporting, and customer management.
- Send automated emails to update shoppers on subscription changes. Customize emails to match your store theme and brands.
- Allow customers to purchase both one-time products and subscription products in the same orders.
- Set up dunning management to reduce failed credit card transactions.
- Robust subscription portal for a seamless customer experience.
- Free migration from other subscription apps to Bold.
- Robust APIs & webhooks available.
- 24/7 support available.
- Expensive monthly fee.
- You need to pay a 1% transaction fee for each subscription order.
- Lack of improvements & upgrade over time.
- Core: $49.99/month + 1% transaction fee.
8. Ongoing Subscriptions – ⭐5.0 (107+ reviews)
Ongoing Subscription is another subscription app for Shopify that received an absolution 5-star rating from customers. This is a complete subscription solution with frequency discounts, automatic recurring payments, and helpful reports.
With Ongoing, there are many options for you to offer discounts on your subscription products, such as percentage-based, amount-off, or set price discounts. You are free to customize subscription discounts based on each product or selling season to maximize profits.
Plus, you can easily track and manage subscription orders with comprehensive reports and analytics for better business insights and future plans.
Rating: 5.0 (107+ reviews)
Pros – Key features:
- Complete subscription creation & management tools for any product.
- Various beautiful subscription widgets to choose from.
- Customer dashboard portal to let customers manage, check and cancel subscription orders.
- Detailed analytics and reports on subscription order history & management.
- Customers can subscribe to flexible delivery options & billing frequency.
- PCI & GDPR Compliant guaranteed.
- In-app chat support.
- Even with the free plan, you still have to pay the transaction fee.
- The paid plan pricing is quite high for small and middle-sized stores.
- Free + 2% per transaction
- Enterprise: $299/month + 1% per transaction
9. PayWhirl Subscription Payments – ⭐4.9 (165+ reviews)
PayWhirl Subscription is a comprehensive Shopify subscription app that can satisfy both small and enterprise-level Shopify stores. With 4 pricing plan including a free one, you can easily select the plan that best fit your subscription business needs and requirements.
PayWhirl Subscription Payments make it easy for you to easily create and manage subscriptions through Shopify’s native checkout, thus customers can purchase subscription products and save payment methods.
Meanwhile, the PayWhirl customer portal allows customers to view and manage all their subscriptions, view billing history, and make changes to their accounts without your involvement.
Rating: 4.9 (165+ reviews)
Pros – Key features:
- Automatically charge customer payment methods and create orders for subscription orders.
- Customers can manage their subscriptions, credit cards, and personal info.
- Various subscription discount options.
- Integrate with Shopify Checkout and Shopify’s built-in reports seamlessly.
- Built for mobile compatibility.
- Subscription analytics dashboard and data exports.
- All taxes, and shipping fees remain the same as your store setup.
- US-based live chat, email, and phone support.
- The transaction fee is quite high except for the ultimate plan.
- There’s no option for customers to swap products.
- Free + 3% transaction fee
- Pro: $9/month + 2% transaction fee
- Plus: $49/month + 1% transaction fee
- Ultimate: $249/month + 0.5% transaction fee
10. Native Subscriptions – ⭐4.7 (70+ reviews)
Native Subscriptions offers a reasonable solution for Shopify stores selling subscription products. Using the latest subscription API, Native Subscriptions fully integrates with Shopify’s Native Checkout to create subscriptions and recurring billing options at your Shopify store.
All the basic and advanced features you need to start a subscription business and scale fast are already included in this app. From setting up discounts to managing email notifications, it’s simple to configure all the tools and deliver a seamless subscription experience with ease.
Also, customers are free to manage their subscriptions from their own customer portal at any time. You can let customers select their subscription frequency, such as daily, weekly, or quarterly as well.
Rating: 4.7 (70+ reviews)
Pros – Key features:
- Set up subscriptions and recurring billing with ease.
- User-friendly dashboard for both customers and store owners to view and manage subscription information.
- Send, manage, and edit email notifications to send to customers.
- Configure rules on subscription models, discounts, and flow for customer subscriptions.
- Customizable design to match your store’s vibe and theme design.
- Support to migrate your Shopify store from other apps.
- There’re some complaints about app bugging that can affect your theme.
- The starter and business plan only come with a limited number of subscription plans.
- Starter: $9/month
- Business: $24/month
- Enterprise: $49/month
11. Loop Subscriptions – ⭐4.9 (65+ reviews)
No matter what subscription products you want to sell: physical products, digital products & services, or memberships, Loop Subscriptions can help you enable subscription business at your Shopify store with a few clicks.
There’re many tools you can utilize to convert one-time buyers into subscribers, such as rewarding customers with tiered discounts or integrating the one-time products with subscriptions at checkout.
Also, their automated notifications can notify customers about upcoming payment reminders, failed payments, skipped orders, and more to reduce subscription cancellations. You can always set up the app to retry failed transactions due to expired or declined cards automatically as well.
Rating: 4.9 (65+ reviews)
Pros – Key features:
- Customize and manage subscription plans.
- Charge customers automatically based on their subscription plan. Charge upfront payment for future subscribed orders.
- 20+ automated notification templates to notify customers based on specific events.
- APIs & webhook ready to further customizations.
- Quick chat support for Starter/Growth plan. Dedicated support for subscriptions set up with Premium plan.
- New subscription flows & features released every week.
- Support for customized subscription widget & customer portal in premium and ultimate plans.
- The Free and Growth Plan don’t include many advanced subscription features.
- Growth: $5/month + 1% transaction fee
- Premium: $49/month + 0.75% transaction fee
- Ultimate: $499/month
12. Recurring Membership Payments – ⭐4.3 (65+ reviews)
As the name may reveal, Recurring Membership Payments is a Shopify subscription app that specialized in membership programs. If your business focuses on selling courses, coaching programs, or membership-based services, this app is definitely your go-to choice.
Recurring Membership Payments simplify the whole membership program to help you launch and scale your business with automation recurring billing. Besides subscription features, this app also comes with many additional features to help you collect customers’ information and strengthen customer relationships with your Shopify business.
Rating: 4.3 (65+ reviews)
Pros – Key features:
- Set up and manage multiple membership plans (weekly/monthly/annual payments) for customers to select.
- Charge member recurring billing through Stripe/Paypal.
- Capture leads with a custom registration form and save their information for later contact.
- Advanced reports for business performance. Easily export the data in CSV formats.
- Enable customizable membership trial periods to attract new visitors.
- Restrict content access to an exclusive member group: show or hide pages or collections, etc.
- World-class 24/7 support.
- Only support Stripe and Paypal payment at this moment.
- The Stater Plan only allows 50 members included.
- Stater: $7.99/month
- Basic: $19/month
- Advance: $49/month
Choose the best subscription app for your Shopify store
A great Shopify subscription app can help you generate recurring revenue while still can deliver a flexible and convenient shopping experience for your customers. We hope that you can make a wise decision on the subscription app that best suits your Shopify business. We look forward to hearing your feedback on the Shopify subscription app you like most.