Uploading a large number of images for multiple products is a must for your Magento store. In this tutorial, we’re gonna show you how to import multiple images to your Magento 2 via CSV file.
Step 1: Upload the image files to pub/media/import folder (the default folder for importing product images)
[magento installation folder]/pub/media/import
Step 2: In the CSV data, enter the name of each image file to be imported on the correct row, by SKU, and on the correct column according to image type (base_image, small_image, thumbnail_image, or additional_images)
The CSV file must include only the sku column and the related image columns.
Step 3: Import data into your Magento backend
- In your Magento 2 backend, go to System > Data Transfer > Import
- Select the Entity Type from the drop down list
- Click Download Sample File
- The downloaded sample file includes column headings with placeholder data
- Check your sample file’s structure, make sure that the column headings are correct, and verify the file size which must be less than 2M.
Note: The image files have been uploaded to the right location if the import data includes paths to product images. The default location on Magento server is pub/media/import
- Select an Import Behaviour from the drop down list
- Choose Stop on Error or Skip error entries to determine what happens when there is an error while importing data.
- Enter number of errors which can occur before import to the Allowed Errors Count field. (The default value is 10)
- The Field separator and Multiple value separator field show the default value of the comma. In a CSV file, comma is the default separator. Make sure that the CSV data matches the character that you specify in case of using a different character
- Identify the Import files by doing the following steps:
- Click Choose File to select the CSV file to import
- Enter the relative path to the location on Magento server where imported images are stored in Images File Directory field.
Note: If you import the images for the first time, you should upload a small quantity to test. After understanding the method to upload images, you can import a large number.