In order to start creating our own Magento Mobile application, it is necessary to get familiar with the possibilities available with Magento Mobile Admin Panel and find out what we can do with it.
Here we will learn how to work with Magento Mobile Admin Panel and what configuration options it provides.
First of all, we need to log in to our Magento installation admin area by typing the URL https://ourmagentostore.com/admin.
On Magento’s dashboard menu, we can find a menu item named Mobile.
From there we can access all available options for configuring our application.
How to do it
Let’s look at what we have on this menu:
1. Click on the menu item named Mobile to expand it and you will see all the submenu options.
We can see that we have four submenu items shown:
2. Click on the Manage Apps option and a screen with a grid will be shown.
3. This is the screen where created apps (if any) are shown. Here we have columns
with input boxes for filtering the possible list of created applications.
4. We haven’t created any application yet, so no item will be listed on the screen.
5. Click on the Add App button on the top-right of the screen to open the New App page. This is the page from where we will start creating our first app.
6. Let’s now click on a menu item named Mobile again and then choose Submission History from the drop-down menu.
The same kind of grid with filters is shown. On this screen, App Submission History will be shown (if there is any).
Note: Whenever we make some change in our application, the new version needs to be resubmitted to App Store/Android Market and all this version history will be shown in the Submission History screen.
7. Now click on the Mobile menu item again and then click on Message Templates. The next screen will show our push-notification message templates.
8. Let’s click on the menu item Mobile again and then choose Message Queue from the drop-down menu. This is the screen where the queue will be shown for all our push-notification messages.
How it works…
Manage Apps is the main area where we will spend most of our time while creating the Magento Mobile application. From there we will get all the other options and possibilities for creating, configuring, designing, and preparing our mobile application for submission. When our app is submitted to Magento Mobile, they submit our application depending on the device version to App Store/Android Market and from the Submission History screen we can
see all submitted versions of the application. We can also use filtering possibilities to easily find what we are looking for.
Message templates are pre-defined messages that we can send as push-notifications to our mobile application users and Message Queue is an area where we can track the progress of our push notifications.
For the basic Magento Mobile application creation process, only the Manage Apps area is necessary. Whether we should use other areas or not, depends on what additional capabilities we want to use.
We will also need…
After finishing our mobile application creation we will need to purchase a paid Magento Mobile license in order to submit our application. If we want to use push notifications…
Using push-notification messages is optional, and in that case we will need to register an account with the Magento partner—Urban Airship—for a paid license. They are also providing a 60-day free trial license.
* SimiCart is a new product of Magestore – the top 3 Magento extension provider and the best Magento mobile app builder. It is mobile app platform that helps online merchants create Mobile Shopping App automatically for both iOS (iPhone, iPad) and Android. So. you don’t have to be a coder to build your mobile app! Do you want to see your app in store in the next Monday? Get Free Magento App now!