The Push notification feature allows us to send notification messages to all customers that have our Magento Mobile application installed on their devices, even if the application is not currently turned on.
It can be useful if we want to send some kind of marketing messages, or some other messages to our app users to draw attention to some new product at the store, and so on. The Push notifications feature for Magento Mobile is an extra service provided by a third-party company: Urban Airship in co-operation with Magento Mobile.
It is an optional feature with additional costs for us as store owners, but it can bring some benefits to our sales marketing.
It is up to you to decide if you want to use it or not. Anyway, it is not necessary to configure it right away, because it can be implemented later on in the next re-submission to App Store/Google Play.
In order to be able to successfully set up the Magento mobile Push notification feature, it will be necessary for
our mobile app to be already submitted to Magento Mobile and has to be done before our app
is published to App Store/Google Play.
How to do it…
1. After the app submission, contact email@example.com to receive the Application Key, Application Secret, and Application Master Secret of our mobile app that are necessary for configuration.
2. Log in to your Magento Admin Panel and navigate to Mobile | Manage Apps. Click on your mobile application from the list in order to see your app editing screen.
3. Navigate to the Magento mobile Push Notification tab from the left-hand side menu.
4. Set the Enable AirMail Message Push notification value to Yes.
5. Fill in the Application Key, Application Secret, and Application Master Secret values with the information received from Magento Mobile. Add some custom name in the Mailbox Title field, for example, Customer Notifications. The mailbox title will be shown inside the More screen of our mobile app, and in it our push notifications sent to customers will be listed.
6. Click on the Save button in order to save the new configuration.
How it works…
The Push notification feature is implemented inside your Magento Mobile app and when the user installs your mobile application. The user’s device sends a unique device token that is used by the Urban Airship API to pass your messages to that user’s device. You can log in with your App Key and App Master secret values to Urban Airship on this URL:
https://go.urbanairship.com/accounts/login/ and explore more options available for the Push notification service.
Except the basic Magento mobile Push notifications, which are used to send some plain text messages to the users, there is also an option to use a Rich Push notifications service for your Magento mobile app.
The Rich Push notifications give us the possibility to add formatted HTML and other rich media components into push notification messages. A Rich Push message takes the user into the application where the message is displayed in a customizable WebKit view.
SimiCart can significantly market any store. Whenever there is news from a store, it will send customers Push Notifications so as to keep them updated all the time. In our extension we can send push notifications for example when we want to send some kind of critical messages and coming a new product.
SimiCart is a solution that helps Magento Merchants build mobile shopping apps.
- Magento merchants: Our solution is specially designed for Magento platform so you can get all the best features of Magento to apps. If you use a solution for every platform you’remissing many good things.
- Mobile shopping apps: You will have apps that are coded separately and specifically for iPhone and android. Your customers can search and download your shopping apps from Google Play and Apple stores. And again, such tailored apps will bring the best user experience!
Some of useful post you may consider: